Available 24 Hours, 7 days

Auckland Council

Working hard to keep a leisure centre open

A fire in the small hours of the morning destroyed the old gas-fired boiler that heated the Birkenhead Leisure Centre’s indoor learners’ pool. When the smoke cleared, the Auckland Council property management team knew what had to be done. They picked up the phone and called Tubman Heating’s 24-hour emergency hotline.

No boiler, no swimming pool

From that first post-fire morning the Leisure Centre management were determined to get the situation resolved without delay. With the swimming pool unheated, thousands of people would lose access to their local exercise and training facility. Fortunately, the Council’s property managers had a strong relationship with Tubman Heating and knew they could expect a swift response.

As Deon Thuynsma of the Council’s Capital Works Team puts it, “We knew we could trust Tubman Heating and we knew they would do the job properly.”

Fast response

First, the Tubman Heating team visited the Leisure Centre to inspect the damage in person. They assessed the state of the heating system, discussed the Council’s requirements and submitted a quote in double-quick time. The Council accepted the quote and Tubman Heating pulled out all stops to ensure the new boiler system was installed within days.

The job required more than just a new wall-hung condensing boiler. Tubman Heating also installed a plate heat exchanger and the interconnecting pipework between the boiler, heat exchanger and pool. The Tubman Heating installation team worked swiftly and completed the job, including a provision of a new Gas Certificate, within three days.

Deon was impressed by the speed and quality of the service. “Tubman Heating responded immediately. They gave us good advice and a good price.”

“With Tubman Heating’s help we were able to re-open our indoor pool only days after fire closed it down. There was minimal disruption to staff and customers.”